Thursday, July 12, 2012

DIY Photo "Frame"

Hello friends!  I hope everyone is having a happy Thursday and congratulations on making it over that hump!  As I mentioned in a previous post, G has a new job (same company, new position) and also a new office.  I had printed one of my favorite pictures of the two of us around Christmas time and have yet to do anything with it so when he said he needed a picture of me for his office (what a sweet guy!), I decided to grab my craft box and get to work!

I wanted to do something a little different using wood but G is super picky about things like this.  I made a trip to Hobby Lobby and found these manly looking "wood hunks" and decided that was my best bet.  

Now, if you would like to create your very own "wood hunk photo frame" here is what you will need:
  • Piece of wood (could be from your own backyard if you've got some spare wood handy)
  • Mod Podge (I made mine with equal parts white school glue and water mixed)
  • Desired photograph
  • Scrapbook paper of your choosing
  • Paint brush/sponge
  • Spray sealant
  • Easel

Step One:
Cut your scrapbook paper to the size of your wooden piece.  If you are using a piece of wood from your own home you could always cut it into a fun design of your choosing.

Step Two:
Brush your wood piece with Mod Podge.

Step Three:
Place your scrapbook paper onto the wood and cover with Mod Podge.
Does anyone else have the problem of their paper bubbling while Mod Podging?
Let me know if there is a way to fix that!
Step Four:
Place your photo on your layer of paper.  Smooth from the center using your sponge or brush and apply one last coat of Mod Podge.

Step Five:
Allow the whole project to dry for a few minutes.  Then spray the entire project with a spray sealant.  I used a Krylon clear coat.

Step Six:
Once dried, sit your new photo "frame" on an easel and enjoy!  
This bad boy is sitting on G's bookshelf in his office.


And that's it!  It's that easy!






1 comment:

  1. That is too cute. Look at you all crafty. I would probable would have never thought of doing that.

    ReplyDelete