Thursday, July 5, 2012

DIY Fourth of July Shirt

I hope y'all had a fabulous Fourth!  We're currently under a Stage 2 draught and a burn ban.  But, thanks to some law breakers out there I got to see some fireworks.  Plus it actually did rain for a spell, praise God (again, the draught)!

As a part of our celebration, G and I hit up Walmart early that day to get our American wear as this was indeed, a 'Merica Party.  Now if there's one thing I love, it's a good theme party!  For your reading pleasure, I'm going to show you how to turn
Disclaimer: You'll have to pardon my lack of step-by-step photos as I made this beauty in a bit of a hurry.  Also, the red-eye corrector kind of gave me a wild eye.  I apologize.

Step One
Cut off the sleeves of the tshirt about 1/8 of an inch on the inside of the seam.

Step Two
Depending on the original length of the shirt and your desired length of the shirt cut off any excess fabric at the bottom.  This shirt was a men's size and pretty long so I took off a couple of inches.  I've found the best way to get an even cut is to fold the shirt in half and cut through four layers.

Step Three
Laying the shirt flat, begin cutting strips (through both layers of the shirt) about 1-1 1/4 inches thick.  Optional: I cut the strips on the side seams along the seams so that I'd have two extra fringe pieces.  You can choose to do this or not, it shouldn't affect your final product too significantly.

Step Four
Tie a knot in each strip of fabric close to the top of the cuts. 

Step Five
Wear!  Put this bad boy on and show your 'Merican pride in all your glory.  Here are some photos of how we wore ours!  We may have gotten a little carried away....

PS - this is not my typical procedure for making clothes.  I consider this and other costumes appropriate for theme parties and other instances where others will be dressed up (ie Themed pub crawls).  This is not acceptable to wear in public unless accompanied by others who look just as ridiculous/awesome as you.



No comments:

Post a Comment