Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Swirlz Night!

I'm back y'all!  My apologies for the blog hiatus but I'm back from Gulf Shores and very relaxed!  PS - the backpack beach chair was amazing!  My friend Jessica had one just like mine and we called them our "Turtle Chairs" as we felt like we had a shell while wearing them.  SO convenient.  Also, if you're ever down on the Alabama Gulf Coast and have the opportunity to hear a band called The Foxy Iguanas...do it!!  They were my favorite!  We even got them to play a little "Rocky Top" for some Tennessee girls (btw if you're reading this Iguanas, I'm still REALLY sorry for mistaking your ashtray bucket for your tip jar.  That could have ended badly)!

The weekend before last, while on blogging hiatus, G and I went to Swirlz with two of our good friends.  Swirlz is a painting studio where you are given a set painting and then an instructor gives you step-by-step directions on how to recreate it.  It was such a good time!


We signed up for "Starry Night," very similar to the Van Gogh edition. As you can tell from this picture G and I got a little carried away with our moons.  G also took his own artistic liberties with his painting and eradicated his entire town of houses.  He also accidentally turned his church into the Weasley's home from Harry Potter.  What can I say?  The man is an artist... or something like that!



Our friends had been to a previous Swirlz class to celebrate a birthday.  Jen said she figured her husband would have to go if it was her birthday...and he loved it!  I'm pretty sure that was the only reason G was talked into the situation....and he loved it too.  So guys, don't think it's girly or silly...just go and have fun!  Plus they do "manly" paintings like 12-point bucks or Apache helicopters.


The calendar is posted online (here) so you are able to see which painting you'll be working on that night.  As previously mentioned, they do different styles of paintings and will hold private events for groups as well as paintings specifically for kids.  The website is also where you reserve your seat(s) for the class.  Depending on what painting you sign up for, prices typically run from $35-$45 per person.  That provides your paint, smock and canvas.  You're allowed to bring in the beverages of your choice as well.  Water, cokes, wine, beer, Gatorade....whatever!  However, beware that you may or may not accidentally try and drink your brush water and/or put your dirty brush into your bev.  


Also, if you are a little pokey (like me) they try and accommodate you, but try and keep up.  Until G went rogue I had to keep asking what the instructor said because I was super focused on the proper blending of my stars.  Now, don't go all speed demon either...that's how G ended up with a brown moon....


So, if you're feeling some artistic energy you'd like to get out or are in need of a fun/unique date night or girls' night, head on over to Swirlz!


PS - I left with more paint on myself than on the canvas (no seriously, it was in my hair and I even found some the next day I had missed!  Can't take me anywhere.) so maybe bear that in mind when selecting your outfit!













No comments:

Post a Comment